When your pond water approaches 50 Degrees Fahrenheit:
- As spring approaches, monitor your water temperature and fish activity.
- When the ice melts; remove leaves, sticks, and decaying plant material to help reduce nutrients which feed algae!
- Keep aeration systems running. Fish need air all year round!
- Remove heaters and deicers. Thoroughly inspect, clean, dry and store them for next season!
- When the water temperature is consistently at or over 50oF –start feeding your fish and your bacteria (add bacteria to your filter media-click HERE)!
- Start feeding your fish cool weather (easily digestible) wheat based food. Click HERE for koi food.
- Clean and seed the filtration system with bacteria (Gel type).
- Add recommended dose of bacteria in your pond and on your filtration media to help keep single cell algae in control. Bacteria has a 30 day life cycle, so keep “seeding” the bacteria colony so they thrive and assist in the algae battle.
Click HERE for our line of water treatments.
Do you have questions about how to open your pond? Please email us at Sales@Funkykoi.com.